02 March 2009

SAT Prep Class: Week 1

Hey howdy all!
Well, it's finally upon us: the beginnings of SAT preparation. So, the proactive studyer that I am, I signed up for the prep course offered by the school, and tonight was the first class. I figured I could mention a few points that came up during the two hour class, and then (for the first four weeks, anyway) list any vocabulary I deemed noteworthy.

- Boba Fett was used as a reference for the adjective "mercenary."
~ I re-remembered a "Frankenstein word" we inadvertently created in English class one day: psychophant: an insane truckler (one who looks to curry favor through praise).
- (Orange, this one's for you) One of the practice questions ran as follows: "To avoid being -------(predictable), Stephen Sondheim strives for an element of surprise in his songs."
~ I have one thing to say: "It blanked the blank!"

And now, in a version of the Princeton SAT Vocabulary Hit Parade, I present to you:
John Stamos's (and g2's) Awesome SAT Words
superfluous: unnecessary
stymied: foiled
spurious: questionable
invidious (the one word the teacher didn't know! I looked it up as soon as I got home): unfair, prompted by envy
dogmatic: stubbornly devoted to cause or idea
sanguine: passionate
intransigence: not lasting
redolent: sweet-smelling
debacle: disaster
haranguing: long-winded lecturing, often looking down upon the lecture-ee
conciliatory: forgiving
imperious: giving impression of importance
inscrutable: unable to be understood by close study
histrionic: dramatic, often melodramatic
solicitous: requesting
profundity: deep, philosophical-ness
palliative: able to reconcile
litigious: like a legal problem
reprehensible: deserving of contempt
insular: limited in scope
viscous: slick
floridity: flowery-ness
dearth: lack of something
demonstrative: openly demonstrating feelings
opacity: quality of hard to penetrate
magnanimous: friendly (man, I love that word)
disparaging: insulting

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love