02 March 2008

GE: Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic

Note: In 9th grade, we read Charles Dickens' Great Expectations in installments, as it was originally published. See, it was originally published in weekly chunks of 1-2 chapters in a Victorian magazine, All the Year Round. ('betcha didn't know that, did'ya?)
After reading an installment, we'd do a writing assignment having to do with that installment. I'll be posting some of my personal favorites of these assignments.
This assignment had to do with Pip learning to read and write. We had to write about our own experience with reading and writing.
Ever since I learned the alphabet and how to count, I loved reading and writing.
I never had much trouble with school in any subject. Reading has grown into an absolute passion. And generally a love of reading brings a hunger for books. I eat up books thew way a child eats cookies - fast. I've always read very fast. My mom would think I wasn't really reading, that I was just skimming. Once I was reading a book called Little Bo. She made me go back two or three chapters. Or she'd quiz me on the books. I always got it. Because I read so fast, I always end up rereading the books. Just to make sure I got everything, and because the book was so awesome.
When I learned to write, that was different. I remember, on the paper with lines as wide as [four college-ruled] lines, putting my finger in between each word. The teacher had told us to space in between each word. So, my brilliant five or six year old mind came up with using my finger.
I also remember in kindergarden one method we used to learn to count to ten. There was a computer story based on the Bugs in Boxes stories. It was called "How Many Bugs in a Box?" I also remembered how the song before it went!
Learning how to read, write, and count was always a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love