02 March 2008

A "Mild Epiphany" From an Untitled Story

The assembled officers looked at me in surprise. I stared back difiantly.
"What did you say?" one of them asked, voice trembling in fury.
"You heard me," I answered. "This whole this so freakin' messed up. All y'all are violating the first Amendment, if you peabrains have any idea what that is."
"Why you little..." one snarled, lunging towards me and siezing my neck.
"Hold it!" a voice tundered. Everyone turned and parted to show Charlie was coming towards Snarly, who was at my throat, and I. He quickly stood up.
"Uh, sir, um... this.... this.." he stammered, pointing stupidly at me.
"Girl," I interjected. "Woman. Female. Chick. Say something, you nitwit."
"She's breaking the opinion rule, in your presense too!" someone finished.
Charlie looked to the stammering idiot, then to me. He gave me a descrete wink. "Samson," he said sharply to the guy who nearly strangled me, "what are you trying to pull?"
"But... but.... you heard her just now! She called me a nitwit!" he stammered. "That's an opinion."
"Hm. That may be," Charlie pretended to contemplate. "Or maybe she was stating the obvious."
"But... but..."
"Regardless of the gender of the speaker, who doesn't agree with what was said?" Charlie asked everyone. There was a general consensus that they did agree. "Alright Samson. You tried to pull that she was giving an opinion, but everyone seems to agree that she was stating a fact," Charlie concluded.
"But... but sir!..."
"Who's higher than you?"
"You are," the idiot mumbled in defeat.
"Alright then. And I'll deal with you later," he said "sharply," giving me a wink. As the group dispersed, I thought to myself, as much as I hate the new government, I was glad my brother was a high-ranking officer.
But, now that I opened my yap this time, I might be in huge trouble next time. And next time, Charlie or I might not be so lucky.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
I was a bit freaked out by the cryptic note, but since it appeared to be from someone important, I decided to head out right away. I grabbed my coat and hat and took off towards Gordan Road, out into the rain.
I glanced at the note again; it said to be by the newsstand. I leaned causally against the wall of said newsstand, prepared to wait a while. But, a hst, in the alley by my waiting spot seemed to beckon me. Cautiously, I followed the noise. Then, without warning, two guys pounced on me. I tried to fight back, but it was of no use: one had me pinned against a wall faster than you can say Samantha Alexandra Elizabeth Emma Lynn Chinnana. He had my amrs twisted against my back, and his hand was over my mouth to stifle my screams. When he took me off the wall, the other held a knife to my throat.
"We've been onto you, Inspector Ananin," the one at my throat hissed in my ear.
"Yeah. We have the feeling you haven't been entirely truthful," the other snickered.
"We're gonna take you to talk to The Man, and it's someone higher than Charles Chinnana. You wouldn't dare lie between him, would you?"
I had to think. My job and secret, or worse, was at stake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love