31 July 2009

SoP 33: The Stone Archway

A stone archway
Maw spread before me
What could lay beyond that arch?
I take a chance to peer.

And what a sight lays before my eyes,
One of such great beauty!
A garden lush spread in the sun
With eager ivy climbing.

I sat, admiring its beauty
Beneath that great stone arch,
Beautiful as it was to me,
I heard a voice behind me sigh.

"If only there were creatures there,"
the voice moaned, oh-so-sad.
"There'd be a magic there that isn't there.
I'm certain there would be!"

I thought about it, sitting there,
and whole-heartly disagreed.
Can't a garden be beautiful
Without mythic creatures there?
- - - - -
100_2298
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkliquid/3748218677/
- - - - -
Thanks darkliquid for the picture!

The last two lines are a variation on a quote I read recently: "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love