25 June 2009

SoP 2: "I'm Nobody!" and Why Me?

I'm Nobody!
~Emily Dickinson~

I'm Nobody! Who are you?
Are you – Nobody – too?
Then there's a pair of us?
Don't tell! they'd advertise – you know!

How dreary – to be – Somebody!
How public – like a Frog –
To tell one's name – the livelong June –
To an admiring Bog!

- - - - -
Frogs on Wall
- - - - -
~Why Me?~
or, To the Admirer

Why me?
What is it that could
possibly
Endear someone to me
like this,
To cause one to
spiral
Into apparent smitten
bliss?

I might be able to
pinpoint
The qualities that draws
my friends,
But I'm not exactly
certain
That those qualities
translate
Between friends and
admirers.

I can turn a phrase with
decent success,
People tell me I can
sing,
I take to the ivories as a
fish to water.

But there's something not
clicking.
It's not making sense
to me.
Somethimes I need things
spelled out.

You declare how you love
me,
Would you be so
kind
As to count for me
the ways?

1 comment:

  1. Alas, my love!
    If only I could capture my adoration
    With a few well-chosen words
    And put it in a jar,
    I would send it to you
    To keep you company.

    It flies above, out of reach
    Of my humble words.
    But I cannot deny you,
    Impossible though it be,
    If it makes you happy.
    I will try.

    Your writing sweetly warms the heart
    Like the melodious giggle of a beautiful woman.
    It is a glimpse at a sublime soul
    And I cannot look away.
    I am drawn in inexorably
    Though I have not seen you
    Nor heard your melodious voice.

    As ever,
    Your Admirer

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love