29 June 2009

SoP 6: "Because I could not stop for Death" and For Lily and Ezra

Because I could not stop for Death

~Emily Dickinson ~

Because I could not stop for Death –
He kindly stopped for me –
The Carriage held but just Ourselves –
And Immortality.

We slowly drove – He knew no haste
And I had put away
My labor and my leisure too,
For His Civility –

We passed the School, where Children strove
At Recess – in the Ring –
We passed the Fields of Gazing Grain –
We passed the Setting Sun –

Or rather – He passed us –
The Dews drew quivering and chill –
For only Gossamer, my Gown –
My Tippet – only Tulle –

We paused before a House that seemed
A Swelling of the Ground –
The Roof was scarcely visible –
The Cornice – in the Ground –

Since then – 'tis Centuries – and yet
Feels shorter than the Day
I first surmised the Horses' Heads
Were toward Eternity –
- - - - -
For Lily and Ezra

These two strong twins, both young and brave, we mourn,
They taken 'fore their time to heav'n above
Unduly tried, but never showing scorn.
Inseprable were they, how much they loved

Each other, and their freedom fight as well,
Ne'er breaking loyalty to their just cause.
They freed the world from tyrany's dark Héll,
But didn't get to hear the world's applause.

Sweet Lily greatly burdened with the pains
Of going deep into the hid'ous fray;
Bold Ezra sought to carry on the strain
And for his sister cared up to that day.

For the Resistance they gave their young lives
So that the people, ideas, might s'rvive.

- - - - -
I borrowed the idea for this poem from Eloosive's Daily Writing prompt the other day. Lily and Ezra were the main protagonists in "Accursed Necklace," my one of my favorite ficlets collaborations with OrangeOreos (who can also be found here), which we transfered to Protagonize as well.

Geez. I can't say I've ever posted that many links in two sentences before. First time for everything, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love