24 June 2009

Summer of Poetry 1: "You, Reader," and SoP Introduction

You, Reader
~Billy Collins~

I wonder how you are going to feel
when you find out
that I wrote this instead of you.
that it was I who got up early
to sit in the kitchen
and mention with a pen
the rain-soaked windows,
the ivy wallpaper,
and the goldfish circling in its bowl
Go ahead and turn aside,
bite your lip and tear out the page,
but, listen -- it was just a matter of time
before one of us happened
to notice the unlit candles
and the clock humming on the wall.
Plus, nothing happened that morning--
a song on the radio,
a car whistling along the road outside--
and I was only thinking
about the shakers of salt and pepper
that were standing side by side on a place mat.
I wondered if they had become friends
after all these years
or if they were still strangers to one another
like you and I
who manage to be known and unknown
to each other at the same time --
me at this table with a bowl of pears,
you leaning in a doorway somewhere
near some blue hydrangeas, reading this.

- - - - -
Reading in light
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mookio/2705873215/
- - - - -
Poetry's lines I used to not cross,
believing I only had a saccharine boss,

but now with some practice (and prodding from 'Loo)
I'm willing to try it... now, how 'bout you?

I'm taking 'spiration from poems that I read
over the summer, and I'd sure like t'see

what you all think, or take as spark.
Won't you share poems this season-not-dark?

3 comments:

  1. okay I think you've convinced me to take up a mantle of poetry. I'm going to resolve to write some for a period of time.

    more details to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done g2. I like the idea very much - I don't read nearly enough poetry, especially considering how much of it I write.

    I'll have to use this as a prompt myself - with all credit to you, bien sur. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Your peoms are always the bright spot of my day. A glimpse past your sweet exterior at some small part of the endless goodness that is you, deep within. Thank you for sharing a piece of yourself with me. No matter what people may tell you, don't ever stop expressing yourself. The world needs more beauty.
    Love,
    Your Secret Admirer

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love