28 June 2009

SoP 5: Ode to The Big Four

I tried, and I tried, but I simply could not find a poem with epicness worthy of The Big Four in time. Ah well. Maybe I'll double up tomorrow.
-----
(Quick author's note: this might be one of those "you just had to be there" sorts of things, but this was written in honor of the four guys, who called themselves The Big Four, in my APUSH class this past year. The group was our in-class legend. As obnoxious as they could get, they made that class. Seriously.)

As much as I want to rebuke
I feel I must make this tribute
So here I am, with poem and lute:
An Ode to the great Big Four.

For I have made The great Connection
Even with all that perplexion
I must admit with slight affection
The greatness of Big Four.

The thoughts of them are quite strong
Winkleman is on the end a long
Way from the rest of the group that's strong,
The one-only Big Four.

Cunningham's stuck in the middle
Of shenanigins far from little
(Hold on a sec, must tune the fiddle
To continue with the Big Four)

Bruning's way out on the far left
Often okay, but I was bereft
When once he couldn't keep'n check
Th'antics of The Big Four.

It's difficult to 'scribe The Bird
Who was their "leader." It's too absurd
To try and 'scribe BirdDog with words
He who founded th'Big Four.

They take dominion of Period Nine
And though they drive me out of my mind
I must admit, they're one-of-a-kind,
The infamous Big Four.

So " 'liver the message" all around
Send it 'round with voice and sound
Of those who impress and confound,
Irreplaceable Big Four.

As much as I've plained, I sing the praises
Of the group of APUSH days-es
All the time the group amazes,
The singular Big Four.

I hope they prize the work I've done
Me and my committee of one
And three books, now don't poke fun
Especially you, Big Four.

For all the 'plaining that I've done,
And all of my poking fun
I just could not remain dead-mum
In extolling the Big Four.

And so, I close this ode of praises
And all that's left I want to say is
"This'll go down through the ages,
The legacy of the Big Four."
- - - - -
Postlude: Yes, The Big Four did see this. How? I wrote it on the front board before class one day. Not only did the class like it, but it had the Four's approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave some comment love