23 February 2009

Musings of a Pianistic Sort

I say I'm the Irish pianist, and yet I've only mentioned my piano once or twice. For shame, me, for shame! I think I should devote a whole entry to my instrument of choice, don't you agree?
Well, even if you didn't I'd still go ahead and do so.
Now then, I think it's only fair to talk a bit about my personal instrument. My piano, but I think of him (yes, it's a he) as a really, really good friend. I mean, how could he not? I spend upward to two hours daily, you kind of have to be able to put up with someone. A beautiful matte finish, a gorgeous tone, a marvelous touch (when it's not stiff in the summer), and the original ivory-topped keys. There's some thing about the feel of ivory that just can't be matched by plastic, that velvety touch cannot be manufacured. There's a great deal that can't be made by machine, especially in an 1889 Steinway.
Oh yes, I forgot to mention... -swallows, slightly embarassed- it's kind of a Steinway concert grand piano. We had to "give up" our dining room to be able to fit this nine-foot piano (that belongs in a concet hall, mind you) into our tiny house. It was practically a gift from friends of ours who were downsizing and only had it as a piece of furniture. They were thrilled that I'd be playing it as much as I have, and do. I've recently decided to name him Oliver. Oliver Cross, in honor of the friends who gave him to us. I've also decided to call him Ollie for short.
With the help of our insanely awesome piano tuner, we've been trying to piece together the story of Oliver, an I think I may want to write about it someday. We haven't gotten too far, but it's coming, and we've also found a few signatures here and there on the actual piano.
He's really helped me develop, Ollie has. I've prepared for a couple local competitions, one international, performed a few times, and began my college audition pieces on that piano. There have been a few conversations at that piano, a couple rough moments over the ivories, but Ollie's never faltered. Aside from the occasional out of tine key or sticky bit of the action, or even those two snapped bass-Fs,but it's not his fault. He's 120 years old, what do you expect?
I've told quite people I've yet to be in a relationship, and I say I'm perfectly content in that circumstance, but now that I think on t, that's not true. I guess theres quite the "thing" between Oliver and I, but there has to be that kind of relationship between a performer and her instrument for there to be any success.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely post. And I'm impressed (not to mention jealous) that you have an antique Steinway. Kinda makes me start to regret writing that scene on Protagonize (in "Davy and Joe") where I have a Steinway suspended from the ceiling. **Ducks yet again to avoid object being hurled at him across the internet**

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love