13 February 2009

Public Radio+YouTube=Visual Radio!

Ah, the wonder that is NPR.
I know, most people groan at the acronym, mostly associated with repeated news stories, culture segments, and absolute boredom. But in the mind of a geek or nerd such as myself, it's one of the greatest things to happen to the media. One of my personal favorite shows? Garrison Keillor's weekly variety show A Prairie Home Companion, with its musical acts, the highlight that is The News from Lake Wobegon, and the radio drama. You don't hear that much anymore.
Likewise, I say this: ah, the wonder that is YouTube.
If I were to mention this among the same group of people who shuddered at public radio, I'd probably get a totally different response. This is perhaps a staple of pop culture, a sponge of free time, as millions watch clips or vintage TV shows, or stop-motion Lego adventures, or even sneezing pandas.
Some may think, "Man, I wish I could see a radio show." I know that sounds stupid, but I don't blame those who have that thought. I myself have seen Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! and A Prairie Home Companion live, and it is quite fascinating, watching the people you couldn't pick out of a crowd by face alone, but upon hearing his or her voice there would be immediate recognition do their radio thing.
Now, you may be wondering: how could NPR and YouTube be intertwined? Is this even possible?
Oh, it is, my friend, it is!
Relatively recently, Prairie has been posting videos of some of their skits and/or acts on YouTube. Now you can actually see a radio show, without leaving the soft glow of your computer screen!



This here's the Guy Noir segment from the 1/30/09 show.

Or, if you're looking for something much shorter:


But don't be afraid to poke around the actual website!
http://www.prairiehome.org/
If you're a sworn "enemy" of public radio, but you're dying of curiosity, I won't tell anyone you visited the site.

A little-known fact: NPR actually interviewed Cookie Monster. I kid you not.
Need proof?



I'll leave you with that, my friends.
Isn't it fun to watch radio?

1 comment:

  1. I love that interview!!!! :D You introduced me to it, me thinks...

    OUTACOOKIES! ... a big, snuffle thing... KOWABUNGA! XD

    Whoever the actor is that plays Cookie Monster is my new idol...

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love