26 February 2009

The First Nice Day in a While...

... and guess who didn't get to walk home?

Me, you say?

Lucky guess.

Yep, it was sunny and well above freezing (last I saw it was something like 52), the snow was melting and ice was slushing up. And yet mi madre wouldn't allow me to walk home. But she had a point: I have a big piano competition coming up in nine days, my bag's an absolute brick (and therefore throwing the center of gravity), the entire walk home's downhill/potentially icy. The last thing I needed to do is tempt Fate, she said.

I understand that completely, but can you blame me for my insistence? It's been bitterly cold, it's coming onto March, I love my walks home (all downhill, as I mentioned, and it's very good "think time"), and I'm just tired of snow. There was a warm spell a few weeks ago, and it was absolutely gorgeous; I was convinced, as were many others, that spring just might be here.

And then?

BAM!

Congratulations! More cold and snow!

I just want to be able to do what I can to enjoy the "warmth" while I can. I mean, who knows how long (or how short, as the case may be) this warmth will stay? (About a week, maybe less... I saw weather reports this morning.)

But, I did get to go around the block once I got home. And, boy, it was gorgeous. The sun was warm, there were birds singing, I didn't have to worry about wiping out on the sidewalks. Then, once I got home again, my brother said my mother had called again, and wanted him to go on a walk with me. So in all, I pretty much got my walk home time in. I just happened to pass all the same landmarks twice.

Perhaps spring'll come for good before the Ides of March.
-wistful sigh- And maybe I'll finish Les Mis before the school year's out
(in other words: at this rate, based on past experiences, "not very likely" is right on top of, and nearly indistinguishable from, "yeah, as if that'll happen.")

1 comment:

  1. XD I know exactly what you mean about the warm spells... It happened the exact same way here. I got a bike ride in, and then the next day there was snow again.

    And how much you wanna bet that I can finish Les Mis before you? :D (Not likely at ALL!)

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love