05 April 2009

The Dual Citizenship Dilemma






Three words, my friends: I. Am. PSYCHED.
I found out last night from my friend Mistress Elsha that the long-awaited ficlets resurrection, ficly, is coming "soon." What "soon" means, I'm not sure; regardless, we've been waiting for this since The End.


-bows head in a moment of silence-


But, since The End, I've found a bit of a home in Protagonize. Granted, it took a while to get used to "it all," but I've bumped into a great deal of talent, read some awesome stories, and have made a few more friends. I feel a bit attached to this "temporary" home, but the thing we've been waiting for is coming.

protagonize!

Can I manage a dual citizenship? I mean, I want to do so; I want to get back to the short-short story that I used to love, to the vignettes that are my favorites. But at the same time, I like the freedom a longer segment gives me, and the handful of projects I've started such as The Smart Ones. Will I be able to keep an even balance between the two places, be loyal to the two?






Or will it end in disaster?


(I doubt it'll get that bad, but gotta plan for the worst... ^^)
(One must always plan for an EPIC FAILURE)


3 comments:

  1. Hey g2,

    While I'm looking forward to seeing the completed Ficly and seeing what their team does to change up from Ficlets (if anything), I'm also quite aware that a lot of you Ficlets refugees are going to have a similar dilemma. I'm prepared to lose a lot of folks who came over after their first collaborative writing home shut down, but hopefully a few will still keep active on Protagonize. I'd hate to see all of those great writers disappear in a heartbeat.

    Best of luck to the Ficly team, though. They're lucky enough to have an actual team of folks working on designing and developing their new site, which is more than I can say for myself. :)

    Here's hoping they push the genre forward with some new innovations, and I'll do what I can to keep making you guys want to have dual-citizenship. ;)

    Cheers,
    -nick / protagonize

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say, in the beginning I didn't think I'd stick around once I knew ficly was on its way, but I can't think that now. I've found too much great talent, and the improvements made to Protag have been absolutely tremendous. Way back when I wrote up a rant: I felt too lost, too cluttered, and kind of excluded. I won't lie, was seriously considering dropping out of Protag.
    I don't know if I had anything to do with it, but things on the site just got better from there: the notification management, the drop-down menus of each section of the site (and the pages' reorganization), the always-editable-option... maybe just sticking around helped me get used to it, but those improvements definitely, erm, improved my attitude regarding Protag.
    Yep, as much as I've been anticipating the ficlets phoenix of Ficly, I think I'll sticking around Protag as well. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Gwen - I got your note on the site but I've been hella busy between working my day job and Protag. Trying to respond to everyone can take a couple of days sometimes. :)

    Starting fresh in any community takes a little effort, but I think Protagonize is pretty welcoming on the whole. Especially with the whole lot of you who came over from Ficlets -- since you had a support group there right off the bat, it definitely helped a lot. I was happy to have you all when you came over, and I'm still happy to have you now. :)

    The way I work with Protagonize is pretty iterative... I add new stuff, I see how people use it, I figure out what they don't like about it, and I make changes accordingly. I keep doing that and refining the process until things work out. The next section I'll be tackling is all of your author profile sub-pages, making it a bit easier to navigate and more like a portfolio that you can show off. It's going to take a little work, but I think it'll be well worth it.

    In any case, I have a whoooole whack of new stuff coming for the site in the next few weeks, including some really big stuff like writing circles (groups) and challenges. I'm pretty excited to see where it will lead. Feedback is always welcome, as usual!

    Cheers,
    -nick

    ReplyDelete

Leave some comment love